Morning, Huntington! It’s finally Friday, so let’s get you started with everything you need to know going on in Huntington today.
Are you a local business owner or marketer in Huntington? Our premium local sponsorships will keep you at the top of inboxes around town every morning. Contact us here for the lowdown.
First, today’s weather:
Possible light rain in the morning. Beautiful weekend ahead! High: 76, low: 67.
Here are the top stories today in Huntington:
- Residents are concerned over progress of Coindre Hall’s restoration plans after the town allocated $1.6 million in the county budget. Some residents were alarmed enough to call the state Department of Environmental Conservation this summer over concerns of environmental violations when vegetation was cleared in preparation for the sea wall restoration project. The battle will continue on, as the town has delegated $500,000 increments for the restoration through 2024. (Newsday)
- Huntington Hospital’s Stroke & Heart Failure Care earn acclaim from the American Heart Association, earning two awards. The hospital was recognized by the AHA with the Gold Plus Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Quality Achievement Award and the Mission: Lifeline® EMS Gold Plus Achievement Award for using specific quality improvement measures to treat patients who suffer severe heart attacks. (Huntington Patch)
- Samaritan Daytop Village is ranked the seventh best addiction treatment center in the country. Huntington’s Daytop Village earned a huge accolade, especially in a year where with COVID-19 and a record 93,000 overdose deaths. The challenges were immense for mental health and substance abuse treatment centers, and Daytop rose to the challenge to place number 7 in the country. (Newsweek)
Today’s Huntington Daily is brought to you by our friends at Verizon. They’re building the fastest 5G network in the country. To learn how 5G is going to change life for you and your community — and to get access to this amazing technology — click here. And thank you Verizon for sponsoring this community resource in Huntington!
Today in Huntington:
- EMS Back to School Social. (5:30 p.m.)
- Power to Feed LI- Huntington. (10 a.m.)
- GHPTG Welcome Back Picnic – Cold Spring Harbor Central School District. (4:30 p.m.)
- Hibernian Happy Hour & Food Drive. (5 p.m.)
Huntington Patch Notebook
- Huntington Manor Fire Department Fan Page: “To our friends and neighbors who observe, may you have an easy and meaningful fast.” (Facebook)
- Huntington Historical Society: “Happy Yom Kippur to all who celebrate!” (Facebook)
- Helping Hand Rescue Mission: “Baby Blessings 5th anniversary is next Tuesday! Celebrating 5 years of helping to alleviate diaper need in our community. There are still volunteer opportunities available for you local folk who have some time free next Monday and Tuesday.” (Facebook)
- Huntington Union Free School District: “The Blue Devil community is thrilled to have its renowned marching band back in action this season. The band is making final preparations for its season-opener.” (Facebook)
- St. Dominic Elementary School – Oyster Bay: “Come see what St. Dominic is all about at the Catholic High School Event at St. Joseph’s College at 5 this Monday. We can’t wait to meet you all, Bayhawk Nation!” (Facebook)
- South Huntington Public Library: “Today is the first day of Hispanic Heritage Month! Celebrate with the library!” (Facebook)
- St. Dominic High School – Oyster Bay, NY: “Come see what St. Dominic is all about the Catholic High School Fair at St. Joseph’s College Monday, Sept. 20 at 5. Any questions, please contact the admissions office at 516-922-4888 x5315. See you all there, future Bayhawk Nation!” (Facebook)
- Huntington Jewish Center: “We wish everyone a meaningful and easy fast on this Yom Kippur!” (Facebook)
- Town of Huntington: “Supervisor Lupinacci Releases His Tentative Budget for 2022 Huntington” (Facebook)
- Huntington Union Free School District: “Huntington schools are closed on Thursday, Sept. 16 in observance of Yom Kippur and will reopen Friday, Sept. 17.” (Facebook)
- Helping Hand Rescue Mission: “Good morning! What are you thankful for today? Leave a note in the comments and encourage someone else!” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- LittleDogsLife™ — Join the LittleDogsLife™ exclusive community for FREE (Visit website)
- Get in Shape Long Island Ltd — SUNDAY MORNING YOUTH FLAG FOOTBALL LEAGUE – STARTS SEPT. 19 (Visit Website)
- Huntington Center for Performing Arts — Training for life! Ballet, Music & Theater (Visit website)
- Add your business here
Alrighty, you’re all good for today! I’ll see you around. If you’re feeling these newsletters, consider bringing some more friends and neighbors into the fold. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Andrew Tessler
About me: Hi! I’m Andrew and I have been a Huntington resident for 7 years. I have lived in other countries and states, and my number one love is Huntington. I love health and wellness, traveling, stand-up paddle boarding, and of course going to restaurants and events throughout Huntington!
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Huntington Daily? You can email me at Huntington@Patch.com.