Good morning, people of Huntington! It’s me again, Andrew Tessler, your host of the Huntington Daily.
First, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny; breezy, cooler. High: 64 Low: 49.
Here are the top stories in Huntington today:
- Fire breaks out at Plainview home, spreads to neighboring houses. Around 4:30 a.m, a fire broke out at a house in Plainview Saturday morning, burning two neighboring homes.
Fire officials say the fire spread to two other houses. No residents were hurt, but authorities say one firefighter was sent to the hospital for injuries. Eight fire departments responded to the fire. (News 12 Bronx)
- Mother of Dix Hills native killed in Florida school shooting says guilty plea ‘doesn’t change anything’. Nikolas Cruz, the former student accused of shooting and killing 17 people at a Florida high school plans to plead guilty, according to his lawyers. Cruz opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Valentine’s Day 2018, killing 14 students and three faculty members. One of the faculty members killed was Dix Hills native Scott Beigel. His mother Linda Beigel Schulman says Cruz’s guilty plea is like “having a scab ripped off a wound.” “We know he’s guilty,” Schulman says. “Everybody knows he’s guilty and just because he’s willing to put in a guilty plea doesn’t change anything.” (News 12 Long Island)
- Suffolk arrest report: Oct. 15. Check out all the recent arrests in our area. The charges range from burglary to DWI, and all individuals are innocent until proven guilty. As always, if you have any information on a crime, call Suffolk County Crime Stoppers. (Huntington Patch)
Today in Huntington:
- Guest Speaker – “Anxious to Talk About it”. (2:00 PM)
- Words & Art: 3 Session Art and Poetry Workshop. (1:00 p.m.)
- Blessing of the Animals – St. Peters Church. (2:00 p.m.)
- Ridotto Concert – Huntington Jewish Center. (4:00 p.m.)
Huntington Patch Notebook
- Huntington Manor Fire Department Fan Page: “Car fire demonstration at Open House !” (Facebook)
- Helping Hand Rescue Mission: “Please us to provide for our community this holiday season. We have already begun registering and have many more families register than we have donors signed up for Fill A Box Feed A Family.” (Facebook)
- Tri Community & Youth Agency (Tri CYA): “Tri CYA is so honored to be a member organization. Thank you The Townwide Fund Of Huntington for all you do to help youth and families. — Director Debbie Rimler on Harvest Night” (Facebook)
- The Junior Welfare League of Huntington, Inc.: “A very grateful thank you to The Townwide Fund for our Camp for Kids grant! This support helps send kids to meaningful camp experiences, a very important part of supporting our local youth!” (Facebook)
- Spirit of Huntington Art Center: “Thank you to Cerebral Palsy Association of Nassau County for participating in our ArtAbility 2021 Art Show.” (Facebook)
- Huntington Public Library: “There is so much going on at HPL today !! Our Great Giveback is all day today from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Please consider donating NEWLY packaged undergarments for men and women that will be donated to General Needs Inc. and given directly …” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Gigs & services:
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Sunday. I’ll see you soon! If you’re loving these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to read along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Andrew Tessler
About me: Hi! I’m Andrew and I have been a Huntington resident for 7 years. I have lived in other countries and states, and my number one love is Huntington. I love health and wellness, traveling, stand-up paddle boarding, and of course going to restaurants and events throughout Huntington!
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Huntington Daily? Email me at Huntington@Patch.com.