Get on up, Huntington! Let’s get you started this Tuesday with everything you need to know going on today in Huntington https://ws.cps.coop.dk/.
First, today’s weather:
Partly sunny and breezy. High: 45 low: 29.
Here are the top stories in Huntington today:
- Helping Hand Rescue Mission offers the gift of giving. Helping Hand Rescue Mission was formed in 1965 when Rev. Rose Marie Gaines and her husband the Rev. Jim Gaines fed 10 people that Thanksgiving and from there grew the community initiative. They now feed hundreds of families and said, “Without even planning for it to be this way, it gives families an opportunity to come together , to help another family,” Gaines-Gambino says. “The families we serve want to have Thanksgiving at home. To be able to cook and be with your family on the holidays is very special.” (Long Island Press)
- Huntington police blotter: Man strikes woman with jump rope. Check out the Huntington police blotter from Nov. 13 to Nov. 20. Derlin Sanchez, 41, of Huntington Station committed numerous crimes during the week reigning terror on residents. Sanchez was charged with two counts of third-degree criminal mischief: property of $250 or more, one count of third-degree assault w/ intent to cause physical injury w/ weapon, one count of second-degree assault: intent to cause physical injury to officer, one count of assault, one count of act in manner injuring child less than 17, one count of second-degree menacing: weapon, one count of exposure of a person, and one count of resisting arrest on Nov. 18. (Huntington Patch)
- Schools: Local teams bring home titles. It was a great season for many different teams in the area, as they all brought home titles. Walt Whitman football won the Suffolk County championship, after beating Floyd 42-7 last week. The Northport High School field hockey team took home the New York State Class A championship following an undefeated 21-0 season, just one day after defeating Clarence High School in the NYS Class A semifinals. Lastly, the Elwood- John Glenn team won the 2021 girls volleyball class B state championship. Congrats to all the winners! (http://www.huntingtonNow.com)
Today’s Huntington Daily is brought to you by our friends at Ring, the home security company. Ring does a lot more than doorbells: check out their full suite of smart home products at Ring.com. And thank you Ring for helping to make local news happen in Huntington!
Today in Huntington:
- Harley Pie Sale Pickup – Elwood UFSD. (All Day)
- Bill Management for Seniors 101. (9:00 a.m.)
- Huntington Tag Sale by Invited Estate Sales by Tracy Jordan. (9:30 a.m.)
Huntington Patch Notebook
- South Huntington Public Library: “Say hi to our Book Turkey who is hanging out by the Fiction section on the main level this week!” (Facebook)
- Huntington Historical Society: “HHS is grateful for our staff, board, volunteers, sponsors and community! Please remember to do what you can for those in need during the holiday season.” (Facebook)
- Huntington Union Free School District: “First quarter report cards, K-12, are now posted in the e-School Parent and Student (grade 7-12) Portals.” (Facebook)
- Rotary Club of Huntington, NY: “Troop 68 camped out at Alpine Scout Camp in New Jersey and was hiking along GW Bridge as well as Palisades over the weekend.” (Facebook)
- Town of Huntington: “Supervisor Chad A. Lupinacci recaps highlights from the November 18 Town Board meeting.” (Facebook)
- Helping Hand Rescue Mission: “Thank you so much for making Thanksgiving special for families in our community!” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Author talk – “The Smooth River: Finding Inspiration and Exquisite Beauty during Terminal Illness” (November 23)
- “the Crab Meadow Painter” (November 25)
- Celebrate Thanksgiving With 15 Percent Off Floral Centerpieces (November 26)
- Add your event
Thanks for following along and staying informed. See you all tomorrow morning for another update! If you’re liking these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Andrew Tessler
About me: Hi! I’m Andrew and I have been a Huntington resident for 7 years. I have lived in other countries and states, and my number one love is Huntington. I love health and wellness, traveling, stand-up paddle boarding, and of course going to restaurants and events throughout Huntington!
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Huntington Daily? Email me at Huntington@Patch.com.