Happy Friday, Huntington! Here’s everything you need to know going on locallytoday.
First, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny. High: 68 Low: 54.
Here are the top stories in Huntington today:
- New York To Ensure School Buses Run In Huntington. After a bus driver shortage issue in New York State, Huntington found out they would lose Huntington Coach Corp. earlier this week. With a scare that there would be an interruption in service , Gov. Kathy Hogul stepped in to ensure there would be no issues. The company will fulfill it’s contract and resume full service for students, a relief for many. (Huntington Patch)
- Fall Flower Sale Halesite Fire Department. Starting today, The Halesite Fire Department’s Engine Company will be hosting a Fall Flower Sale at 12 p.m. The sale will run through Saturday at approximately 6 p.m. In addition to mum plants, they will have decorative cabbage plants, hay bales and cornstalk bunches, and delivery will be available to residents within the fire district. (The Huntingtonian)
- Reward Offered in Damage to Little Library in Depot Park. The $500 reward being offered by a Huntington realtor is still unclaimed after someone vandalized the Little Library last week. “We can not tolerate this sort of behavior! I’m also calling on our elected officials to install cameras!,” Lonardo said. Lonardo and her daughter found the library in disarray last Sunday after they went to donate books. “This act of total disrespect is disgraceful, to think that someone would destroy something that was intended to be thoughtful!!” Lonardo wrote on Facebook.(Huntington Now)
Today’s Huntington Daily is brought to you by our friends at Verizon. They’re building the fastest 5G network in the country. To learn how 5G is going to change life for you and your community — and to get access to this amazing technology — click here. And thank you Verizon for sponsoring this community resource in Huntington!
Today in Huntington:
- FREE Outdoor Screening of ‘Seasons of Change on Henry’s Farm’ and Day of Fun at Fink’s Farm. (4:00 p.m.)
- Walking With Whitman: Gregory Leadbetter, Tom Stock, and Josie Bello. (7:00 p.m.)
- Artist & Vendor Showcase at Devoshion at The Walt Whitman Shops. (3:00 p.m.)
Huntington Patch Notebook
- Huntington Manor Fire Department Fan Page: “Early Saturday morning the Huntington Manor Fire Department responded to Richard Holst Park on East 20th Street for a report of a rubbish fire. Vandals lit a local free children’s library on fire, destroying the stand and books.” (Facebook)
- Huntington Union Free School District: “ROBERTO CONTRERAS SCORES GAME WINNER … The state ranked Huntington varsity boys’ soccer team improved to 8-1-1 this fall, but it didn’t come easily as the Blue Devils needed overtime to edge visiting North Babylon on Wednesday afternoon” (Facebook)
- Huntington Union Free School District: “The Huntington girls’ volleyball team won again on Wednesday afternoon, overwhelming Copiague, 3-0. The Blue Devils captured three straight games, 25-20, 25-12 and 25-19 to win their second straight match.” (Facebook)
- Huntington Historical Society: “The Huntington Historical Society held is annual Theater Social last night. The evening began with supper on the Kissam’s porch. We then heading to the John W. Engeman Theater to see Smokey Joe’s Cafe. ” (Facebook)
- Huntington Public Library: “Celebrate Banned Books Week by reading a banned book. Check out this list of the top 10 most challenged book of 2020.” (Facebook)
- Town of Huntington: “On September 14, the Town Board approved reforms to the Vacant Building Registry to address neighborhood blight.” (Facebook)
- Rotary Club of Huntington, NY: “In keeping with our mission to support those in need in the community we are posting this notice about Housing Help and their need for more volunteers to assist them with their Emergency Rental Assistance Program” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- LittleDogsLife™ — Join the LittleDogsLife™ exclusive community for FREE (Visit website)
- Get in Shape Long Island Ltd — SUNDAY MORNING YOUTH FLAG FOOTBALL LEAGUE – STARTS SEPT. 19 (Visit Website)
- Huntington Center for Performing Arts — Training for life! Ballet, Music & Theater (Visit website)
- Add your business here
You’re all caught up for today. See you all tomorrow for another update! If you’re into these newsletters, consider bringing some of your friends and neighbors along for the ride. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Andrew Tessler
About me: Hi! I’m Andrew and I have been a Huntington resident for 7 years. I have lived in other countries and states, and my number one love is Huntington. I love health and wellness, traveling, stand-up paddle boarding, and of course going to restaurants and events throughout Huntington!
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Huntington Daily? Email me at Huntington@Patch.com.