Morning, neighbors! It’s me again, Ashley Ludwig, your host of the Orange County Daily. This weekend, we’re talking about energy, clean energy, and whether the Orange County Power Authority is up to the task. We also take a look at High School sports in the county, and where your heavy hitters are in the way of football.
School is back in session starting the middle of August. Are you ready to send your children back? Let us know by emailing your Patch Editor your thoughts for a detailed look at Orange County’s return to school for the 2021/22 school year.
First, today’s weather: Clear throughout the day. High: 75 Low: 58.
On Saturday, high tide along the Orange County coast will be at 10:20 a.m. at 3.94 feet.
Low tide will be at 3 p.m. at 2.26 feet.
Sunrise is at 6:08 a.m. and sunset will be at 7:46 p.m.
Here are the top stories today in Orange County:
- This Orange County wife asks the public to get vaccinated and be spared their fate. Ashley Richards said her 46-year-old husband’s last words before he was put on a ventilator was that he wished he had gotten the vaccine. ( )
- How do residents feel about the new Orange County Power Authority? Not great according to a former advocate, in this report from Martin Wisckol. (Orange County Register).
- Orange County‘s schools, parents, speak out on mask mandates as districts prepare to go back to the classroom for 2021/22 school year (Voice of OC).
- High School Football Roundup: Dan Albano researches how your team ranks in 2021, from Mater Dei, Newport Harbor, Los Alamitos, Servite, Santa Margarita, Mission Viejo, El Modena and Orange Lutheran. (Orange County Register)
- California‘s Athletes More Likely To Succeed In Olympics: Report: Learn where the most number of golden state athletes attend/attended college, and how many are named “Jennifer!” (Orange County Patch)
- More month than money, and in need of groceries? Get them in Lake Forest, thanks to the grocery distribution center at El Toro High School (Lake Forest Patch).
- Orange County‘s COVID-19 Hospitalizations Keep Climbing: Report on the latest facts and figures of the coronavirus pandemic in Orange County. (City News Service)
- 6 Orange County Women’s Water Polo Players from Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach and Seal Beach head back to the gold medal round on Saturday vs. Spain. (Orange County Patch)
- Unmasked clients make for nervous masked social services workers in Orange County. “We can’t limit access indefinitely,” the County CEO says. (Orange County Register)
Today in Orange County
- Lakewood Aquatics/Rocket Fish Swim Meet (6:30 AM)
- Summer Harvest Distribution (Events) (7 AM)
- Open House Tour at Founders’ Park – Anaheim Public Library – All Events (9 AM)
- Parent & Me Painting: Koi Pond – Sherman Library & Gardens (9:30 AM)
- Free Financial Education Webinars (10 AM)
- Family Tour of Sherman Gardens – Sherman Library & Gardens (11 AM)
- The Village Market (12 PM)
- FREE August Academic Webinars (1 PM)
- Rescheduled: Sad Summer Festival presented by Journeys (4 PM)
- Summer Concert Series – Creedenced and The Long Run (5:30 PM)
- OCSC vs LA Galaxy II – Greater Irvine Chamber of Commerce (7 PM)
Orange County Patch Notebook
- Orange County Pit Bull Rescue: “Tell us…. Is there anything cuter than this?!” (Facebook)
- German Shepherd Rescue of Orange County: “AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION! Meet Gretel II. This sweet girl loves to have fun and likes people. Sweet and playful, Gretel.” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “California will require all of its roughly 2.2 million health care and long term care workers to be fully vaccinated.” (Facebook)
- Orange County Guide | SoCal: “We want to know what you guys call the outlets of Orange? The block or The Outlets?” (Instagram)
- Orange County Sheriff’s Department, CA: “Fentanyl poses a real danger not only to our community, but to the men and women who serve our community. ” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “California workers filed 65,500 initial claims for unemployment last week.” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “Maddie Musselman (Corona del Mar High, UCLA) scores four of her five goals in the second half, rallying the Americans…” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “Ballots for the Sept. 14 special recall election will hit mailboxes in just a few days. ” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “A prosecutor described the boy’s death as a planned killing.” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “Disneyland’s nightly fireworks show will start at 9 p.m. through August and possibly the upcoming Halloween season.” (Facebook)
- County of Orange, California: “Redistricting Community Workshop: District 3 Hosted Thursday, August 5 from Orange, CA” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “Parkhopping is expected to begin at 1 p.m. daily for the foreseeable future at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure.” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “Orange County has fully vaccinated 56.2% of its residents.” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “The summer camp will now turn into a year-round playground with a $7.2 million by the city.” (Facebook)
- Orange County Parks: “Thank you for joining us for a legendary night of swing courtesy of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “Chaos. Hardship. Stubbornness. Details of lives lived on the streets in O.C.’s Second District are revealing.” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “The two-acre park that borders Pacific Park Elementary is set to get a new playground, basketball court, benches, & more.” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “It was the second time this week that Mater Dei had a game canceled because of a COVID-19-related issue.” (Facebook)
- CASA of Orange County – Court Appointed Special Advocates: “Have you registered for USC’s Day of Service yet? Join the USC Athletics Community Outreach department.” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “When you’re looking to adopt a new furry, scaly, feathered and/or hooved companion, an animal rescue is a great choice.” (Facebook)
- Orange County Register: “We were bringing wine country to Orange County for the very first time.” (Facebook)
- OCPS: “Remember, we have posted answers to frequently asked questions like this one on our website. Just go to www.ocps.net” (Instagram)
- Orange County (NC) Recreation: “Fall is for ! This youth flag football program offers youth ages 5 to 11 years old the opportunity to learn football.” (Instagram)
- Goodwill of Orange County: “Calling all plant parents: What’s your favorite thrift find for your plant collection? Tag us in your photos.” (Facebook)
- Orange County (NC) Recreation: “#ocncrec #summercamp Week 8 (1/2) Morning camps: Celebration Exploration (4-6-year-olds)Little Breakfast Bakers.” (Instagram)
- Orange County Register: “Judge says he will grant the request to overturn the conviction of Paul Gentile Smith, which unravels in the aftermath.” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Camino De Santiago Nature School — Innovative Place-Based Education In OC for K-6. (Visit website)
- Free Family Mini Photo Sessions (August 7)
- SCDR/RanchoPaws Adoptions (August 7)
- Wow! Stunning Theater at The Historic Wilcox Manor (August 13)
You’re officially in the loop for today! I’ll see you back in your inbox tomorrow morning with your next update. If you’re liking these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to read along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Ashley Ludwig
About me: Ashley Ludwig has been a columnist and online news editor since 2007.
Prior to joining Patch, she worked as a staff writer for Southwest Riverside’s Valley News Newspaper–in print and online. She was a co-founder of the southern California news conglomerate, DailySoCal.com–and prior to that, a freelance journalist for such publications as the North County Times, San Diego Union-Tribune, and Southwest Riverside News Network (SWRNN.com), and still owns the local southern California Wine Country blog: TemeculaGrapevine.com. Ashley Ludwig has worked as a writer on the web since the late 1990s. She is a graduate of the University of Arizona, with a Bachelor of Arts and Sciences. Wife, and mother of two daughters, she is the author of multiple romantic suspense novels. www.ashleyludwig.com
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Orange County Daily? Contact me at email@example.com.