Up and at ’em, Huntington! Let’s get you all caught up to start this day off on an informed note. Here’s everything worth knowing today in Huntington.
First, today’s weather:
Breezy with some sun. High: 60 Low: 49.
Here are the top stories today in Huntington:
- School officials: Swastika found at Stratford Road Elementary School in Plainview. What’s been a common theme in the area recently, more hate filled writing was found at Stratford Road Elementary School. The swastika drawing was found on the playground and Nassau police are investigating. (News 12 New Jersey)
- Oyster Bay Day serves as scaled-down festival. Oyster Bay held Oyster Bay Day on Saturday, a scaled-down version of the annual Oyster Festival which brings 250,000 people to the town, which was canceled for a second consecutive year. Around 30 businesses set up shop for Oyster Bay Day. Officials say the traditional Oyster Fest will be held in 2022. (News 12 Bronx)
- Pumpkin-picking guide in the Huntington area. Still looking to get out there and bring the family for some fall festivities? Patch has got you covered with a guide on where to head out in the Huntington area to grab some pumpkins for the fall season. (Huntington Patch)
Today’s Huntington Daily is brought to you by Newrez, a leading nationwide mortgage lender. Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to connect with a Newrez loan officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS #3013)
Today in Huntington:
- *WSSPTG Book Fair – Cold Spring Harbor Central School District. (All Day)
- PTA Council Meeting – Elwood UFSD (5:00 p.m.)
- Life, Hope and Science: Three Journeys in Research. (Noon)
- GH School Improvement Team Meeting. (3:15 p.m.)
Huntington Patch Notebook
- South Huntington Public Library: “Some books just stay with us. We want to know…what is the book you just can’t stop thinking about?” (Facebook)
- St. Dominic High School – Oyster Bay, NY: “Another week. Another great set up by our guidance department for college visits.” (Facebook)
- South Huntington Public Library: “Today is The Great Giveback! The pandemic has upended many people’s lives, and they could use the support of our community. Why not give back today? We are sponsoring a food drive through Long Island Cares as well as a pet supply drive” (Facebook)
- Huntington Public Library: “You still have time left! Give back to furry friends by decorating a bandana for a cat or a dog and make a mini cat scratch toy! #giveback #librariesguveback” (Facebook)
- Huntington Public Library: “Block Island Cooking Demo • Monday, October 25 • 6:30 pm Join Craig, from Block Island Seafood Company, for a cooking demonstration of two hearty fall favorites, shrimp and grits and crab bisque. Register here for your ZOOM link” (Facebook)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Gigs & services:
Alrighty, you’re all caught up for today. I’ll see you soon! If you’re feeling these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Andrew Tessler
About me: Hi! I’m Andrew and I have been a Huntington resident for 7 years. I have lived in other countries and states, and my number one love is Huntington. I love health and wellness, traveling, stand-up paddle boarding, and of course going to restaurants and events throughout Huntington!
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Huntington Daily? Contact me at Huntington@Patch.com.