The quickest way to get caught up on the most important things happening today in Tampa.
This post was contributed by a community member.
Hey, Tampa. I’m here in your inbox this morning to tell you everything you need to know about what’s going on around town, including news about:
- The Tampa International Fringe Festival returns this week.
- Over 1,300 cases of animal cruelty have been reported this year in Hillsborough County with numerous reports made in the last week.
- Florida Avenue Brewing Co. opened a second location in Seminole Heights on May 5.
But first, today’s weather: Mostly cloudy. High: 90 Low: 67.
Business owners and marketers in Tampa: Do you want to build awareness with local customers? I have a limited number of sponsorships available to introduce our readers to local businesses they need to know. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories in Tampa today:
- Florida Avenue Brewing Co. opened a second location on Friday, May 5, in Seminole Heights, near its original location before expanding. The new beer facility is 4,000-square-feet and features 16 beers on draft as well as a full liquor bar, covered patio, and on-site kitchen. The Seminole Heights location will have exclusive products and beers for locals to enjoy. (Tampa Patch)
- Tampa residents celebrated the coronation of King Charles III this weekend. The new king was crowned on Saturday at Westminster Abbey. The Pub Tampa at International Plaza held a watch party at 6 a.m. for fans of the royal family to enjoy. (WFLA)
- A high-speed police chase in Hillsborough County on Sunday ended with a crash at Iglesia Dios Con Nostros, a church in Plant City. Police said the driver was allegedly looking at his cell phone at the time of the collision and reached a top speed of 100 mph during pursuit. The suspect was taken to Hillsborough County Jail. (ABC Action News)
- Hillsborough County Animal Services reported multiple cases of animal cruelty in the last week. Over 1,300 animal cruelty cases have been reported so far in 2023. In one case, authorities arrested and charged a woman in Hillsborough County who allegedly hit a dog with a rubber mallet. (Fox 13 Tampa)
- The Tampa International Fringe Festival is coming from May 10 to May 14. Shows will take place at Hillsborough Community College Ybor City and at the Kress Building. 50 percent of performances will come from local talent. (St. Pete Catalyst).
Today in Tampa:
- Trivia Night at Midtown Tampa. (6:30 a.m.)
- Story Time at New Tampa Regional Library. (10:15 a.m.)
- Recording Studio Orientation at Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative. (11 a.m.)
- Creative Writing For Adults at Temple Terrace Leisure Services. (2 p.m.)
- Remix- TMA At Firehouse | Adult at Tampa Museum Of Art. (6 p.m.)
In partnership with T-Mobile:
Do you know an incredible mom you’d like the rest of Tampa to know about, too? We want to hear about her! Just fill out this simple form and we’ll do the rest. And if you’re looking for some inspiration, have a look at these awesome moms!
From my notebook:
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers shared: “Congrats to Fort Pierce Central High School’s Nick Clements for winning Girls Flag Football Coach of the Week. 🏈 Winners receive a $2,000 grant from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Foundation to help maintain and upgrade their football program.” (Tampa Bay Buccaneers via Facebook)
- ZooTampa at Lowry Park shared: “This is a defining moment in the movement to protect wildlife corridors all across the globe. The panther is showing the way. Watch the award-winning film ‘Path of the Panther’ – a thrilling tale of the endangered Florida panther.” (ZooTampa at Lowry Park via Facebook)
- The University of Tampa shared: “Congratulations to the class of 2023! Keep tagging us in your #utampagrad photos, as we’re celebrating with you. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors, and know you always have a place to call home at #utampa.” (The University of Tampa via Facebook)
- City of Tampa shared: “Mayor Jane’s Tree Giveaway was a success. 🌳 Thank you to everyone who registered for a free tree and to our Green Team and Tampa Parks & Recreation staff who were working hard this morning loading 1,000 trees into vehicles.” (City of Tampa via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Social Security Seminar at Hillsborough Community College Student Services Building Ybor City (May 9)
- Planning for Taxes in Retirement (May 10)
- 7th Annual Tampa International Fringe Festival (May 10)
- Breast Ultrasound Screening Coming Direct to You! (May 13)
- LEADS Mardi Gras Masquerade Brunch Fundraiser (May 20)
- Add your event
You’re officially in the loop for today! I’ll see you around.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Tampa Patch newsletter? Contact me at SouthTampa@Patch.com